If you want to keep fit but don’t have a lot of storage space, you may be looking for one of the best folding bikes.
This product is perfect for anyone living in the city, on college campuses or anywhere else in the world. There’s a couple things to keep in mind when making your selection and I’ll show you what’s most important. You’ll see my top picks for 2017 too.
- 1 How To Choose A Folding Bike
- 2 Dahon Mariner D7 Folding Bike *Top Pick*
- 3 Schwinn Loop Folding Bike
- 4 Montague Paratrooper Folding Mountain Bike
- 5 Vilano Urbana Single Speed Folding Bike
- 6 Dahon Ciao i7 Folding Bike
- 7 GTM Folding Mountain Bike
- 8 Allen Sports URBANX Aluminum Folding Bike
- 9 Stowabike City V2 folding Bike
- 10 MOBIC City X7 Folding Bike
- 11 Dahon P8 Folding Bike
- 12 Camp Alloy Folding Bike
- 13 Merax 6 Speed Folding Bike
- 14 Retrospec Speck Folding Bike
- 15 Hasa 6 Speed Folding Bike
- 16 Make Life Easy With A Folding Bike!
How To Choose A Folding Bike
If you want an enjoyable riding experience you need to pick the right bike. Here’s what you should look for when making your purchase:
- Your own needs and where you’ll be biking
- The ease of the folding process
- Other features like gears, suspension, tires, comfort
First off, you need to think of how you’re going to use your new bike. Folding bikes are very convenient in urban cities and commuting – you can find mountain bikes that fold too. If you plan on navigating city streets I would suggest a comfort, city or hybrid bike – this type allows for a comfortable riding position and is non-straining on your back.
If you plan on going trail riding, or up steep inclines, you’ll want a mountain bike. They’ll come with more gears so you can get up hills easy and front/rear suspension to smooth out the ride.
You can even get an electric folding bike which makes pedaling less straining and your commute faster. You can check out my favorite electric bikes (folded included) here.
Another thing to keep in mind is the ease of the folding process. Some bikes are simple to close and to fold into compact packages. Others require you to take off the wheel and you’ll need a separate carrying case; the more features the product has the more complicated it’ll be to close.
Lastly, you should investigate all other bike features like gears, tires, and suspension. A city commuter won’t need a ton of gears; a nice suspension will absorb the shock of going over potholes and manhole covers. Different tires are better for different terrains too.
Now that you know what to consider, let’s take a look at my top picks now.
Dahon Mariner D7 Folding Bike *Top Pick*
Dahon makes some awesome folding bikes and their Mariner D7 is my top pick for the year. This product is a commuter’s dream and can be folded in less than 15 seconds. It’s easy to carry and is perfect for anyone taking a train or bus. Some nice features include:
- A lightweight aluminium frame that’s both sturdy and durable
- 7 speed drivetrain makes it useful on hills
- Powerful brakes help you stop on a dime
This bike isn’t exactly cheap but it’s not horrible either – it’ll cost around $579. If you have that to spend this is a product you must consider.
Take A Closer Look At The Dahon Mariner D7
Schwinn Loop Folding Bike
Schwinn is a company that’s been around since the 1800’s and they’ve really mastered the art of bike making. Their Loop folding bike is an affordable option for anyone looking to save a little cash – it’ll only cost around $215. That’s really good, especially when you consider it comes with:
- Alloy linear pull breaks that puts you in complete control over stopping
- 7 speed shifter will help you conquer hills and inclines
- Lifetime warranty
You know a product is well made when it has that type of warranty. You’ll never need another bike due to damage or wear and tear if you purchase the Schwinn Loop.
Take A Closer Look At The Schwinn Loop Folding Bike
Montague Paratrooper Folding Mountain Bike
The Montague Paratrooper is one of the most expensive products on this list and for good reason – it’s one of the best. You can ride this bike in tough terrain and off the beaten path. Up until a few years ago this bike was only used in the military. Consumers wanted a piece, however, and it was brought to market. You’ll like that is has:
- 27 different speeds which allows you to conquer any hill or incline
- Quick release system enables you to fold and unfold this bike in seconds
- Kenda Knobby tires that are designed for unpaved trails
Here’s a video that explains a little more:
Pretty cool, right? If you’re in the market for an awesome off road bike, the Paratrooper is what you’re looking for.
Take A Closer Look At Montague Paratrooper Folding Bike
Vilano Urbana Single Speed Folding Bike
Vilano is another wonderful company and they make awesome products. Their Urbana Single Speed is perfect for commuting and is tailor made for city and urban environments – it excels on college campuses too. This is one of the most affordable bikes on the list and will only cost around $179. Some nice features are:
- Folds into a very compact package in seconds and is easy to carry
- Comfortable saddle that’ll you’ll enjoy riding for long periods of time
- Aluminum frame won’t rust and is durable
If you’re looking to save a little money without giving up much in the performance department, the Urbana is the bike for you.
Take A Closer Look At The Vilano Urbana Single Speed Folding Bike
Dahon Ciao i7 Folding Bike
Like the product you just saw, the Dahon Ciao i7 excels in the city and on college campuses. Unlike the last product, the Ciao i7 is pretty expensive – it’ll cost around $799. This bike is easy to mount and dismount and comes with:
- 7 speeds so you can ride through a bunch of terrains
- Well made brakes keep you safe and in control
- Gives you a smooth ride
It’s not overly heavy either and weighs around 30 pounds. This definitely is one of the most stable and quality folding bikes available.
Take A Closer Look At The Dahon Ciao i7
GTM Folding Mountain Bike
If you’re in the market for an inexpensive folding mountain bike this product from GTM will work for you. It may not be the best bike on earth but it’ll cost around $109. Some features you’ll like are:
- The front suspension that makes trail riding smooth and easy
- Adjustable seat and handlebar so it’s perfect for all sizes and heights
- Comfortable to ride
This bike needs some assembly and if you’re not the mechanical type you can have it put together online by an expert for $100. If you’re interested in that, click below:
Take A Closer Look At The GTM Folding Bike Mountain Bike
Allen Sports URBANX Aluminum Folding Bike
Company: Allen Sports
The Allen Sports URBANX bike can ride on a lot of different terrains. It’s perfect for cities and towns but can tackle hills too. It’s very lightweight, at around 25 pounds, which makes it easy to carry around. Other awesome features include:
- Can fold up in around 8 seconds which is great for commuting
- Bike ships fully assembled
- Aluminum frame is durable and sturdy
The URBANX has some good reviews on Amazon and if you’d like to see what actual customers are saying, click below:
Take A Closer Look At The Allen Sport URBANX
Stowabike City V2 folding Bike
Like the name suggests, the Stowabike City V2 is perfect in urban areas and for anyone that needs a commuter bike. This product is inexpensive and will cost around $119. This is a really fair price, especially when you consider it comes with:
- 6 speeds so you can go up hills fairly easy
- Steel V-Brakes let you stop sharply
- A sturdy design that’s smooth to ride
There’s a lot of expensive bikes on this list with a ton of top of the line features – not everyone needs that, though. Some people just want a simple bike to commute with or run errands with and that’s easy to fold up. If you’re in that group you should consider the Stowabike City V2.
Take A Closer Look At The Stowabike City V2
MOBIC City X7 Folding Bike
Company: MOBIC Bikes
Here we have another folding bike with the city commuter in mind. The MOBIC City X7 isn’t cheap but it’s not overly expensive either – it’ll cost around $599. This product is high quality and durable, however, and worth every penny. If you purchase this bike I know you’ll love:
- The modern and sleek design
- Folds in around 10 seconds to save you time
- Made from a lightweight aluminum frame that’s easy to carry around
You’ll like the smooth ride too. I’m a big fan of the MOBIC City X7 and believe it’s one of the top 5 products on this list.
Take A Closer Look At The MOBIC City X7
Dahon P8 Folding Bike
Here we have another folding bike from Dahon and like the other ones on this list, the P8 is well made and very quality. It’s not cheap, however, and will cost around $829. If you have the money it’s definitely worth it. Some top features include:
- 8 speeds so you can conquer tough hills and inclines
- Works for almost all heights ( 4’8″ to 6’4″)
- Low profile design and easy to store
This is another product that’s very modern looking and eye catching. The Dahon P8 is a bike you can ride around in confidence with.
Take A Closer Look At The Dahon P8 Folding Bike
Camp Alloy Folding Bike
The Camp Alloy Folding Bike is meant for trails and bumpy conditions – the dual suspension absorbs shock and allows for a smooth ride in rough terrain. It also features 21 different speeds so you can conquer mountains and has:
- Disc brakes that are preferred by most bikers
- Will easily fit into your car, no matter how small
- Easy to install and will be ready to ride with minimal work
This is another product that gets a ton of love on Amazon. If you’d like to read the many positive reviews, click below:
Take A Closer Look At The Camp Alloy Folding Bike
Merax 6 Speed Folding Bike
The Merax 6 Speed won’t break the bank and will only cost around $119. It’s perfect for anyone on budget. This bike features rear suspension which limits the shock of bumpy roads and has an:
- Adjustable seat so all heights can ride
- 6 speed shifter makes hills more manageable
- Comes with a basket so you can transport goods
You may not get the riding experience of a Dahon bike here, but you’ll get one that you’ll like.
Take A Closer Look at The Dahon Merax 6 Speed
Retrospec Speck Folding Bike
The Retrospec is perfect for city living and college campuses – it’s not very good in hilly situations or off-roading, though. However, if you live in the first two places, you’ll like the:
- Lightweight aluminium materials that’re easy to carry around
- Folds in around 10 seconds
- It’s low profile and sleek design
There aren’t many bells and whistles with this product which is perfect for a lot of people. You’ll be able to store and take it everywhere; trains, buses, work, dorm, etc. It’s fairly priced too, at around $294.
Take A Closer Look At The Retrospec Speck Folding Bike
Hasa 6 Speed Folding Bike
The last bike on this list is the Hasa 6 Speed and it’s a very sharp looking product. Unlike the one you just saw, this one can handle hills and inclines. It’s also perfect for commuters and features:
- Front and rear brakes which let you stop quickly
- Lightweight aluminum design is easy to carry around
- Kenda tires ensure a smooth rise
This bike comes with a 5 year warranty too, so you know it’s well made and durable too. It’s not overly expensive, either and will cost around $269. That’s extremely fair for all that you’re getting.
Take A Closer Look At The Hasa 6 Speed Folding Bike
Make Life Easy With A Folding Bike!
Folding bikes are a convenient way to commute and run your daily errands with. They’re smooth riding, lightweight and can be stored in the smallest spaces – you can even find ones to take on bumpy terrain. No matter your needs or budget there’s a bike here that’ll fit you perfectly.
If you have any questions about what you’ve read, comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as fast as possible. You can let friends and family see by sharing on social media too.
Are you ready to stay fit and get around town with your new bike?