Winter is almost here and if you are like me, you are probably looking for the best men’s ski and snowboard pants for the 2017-2018 season.
This guide will show you what to look for when making your selection and my top picks.
- 1 How To Pick The Perfect Ski And Snowboard Pants
- 2 Volkl Perfect Fitting Ski Pants
- 3 Obermeyer 25016 Process Pants
- 4 The North Face Freedom Insulated Ski Pants
- 5 Burton Men’s Covert Pants
- 6 Quiksilver Snow Men’s Porter Insulated 17 Pants
- 7 Spyder Men’s Propulsion Athletic Pants
- 8 Salomon Fantasy Men’s Pants
- 9 Columbia Men’s Bugaboo II Pants
- 10 Arc’teryx Beta AR Pants
- 11 Burton Men’s Southside Mid Fit Pants
- 12 Rossignol Elite Men’s Ski Pants
- 13 Spyder Bormio Men’s Ski Pants
- 14 Columbia Men’s Ridge II Run Pants
- 15 Hit The Slopes In Comfort This Year!
How To Pick The Perfect Ski And Snowboard Pants
Having good gear can make the difference between a fun day and a miserable one (I know this from experience). There are a few things to consider when choosing your pants and they are:
- Make sure you find a type that suits you
- What warmth do they provide
- How waterproof and breathable are they
- Picking the right size
There are several types of ski pants like 3 in 1, insulated, shell, soft-shell, and stretch. All have positives and negatives along with minor differences. 3 in 1 pants have an outer-shell and inner-shell you can wear together or separate based on temperature and weather.
Insulated is the most common type of ski pants. It does a good job of keeping you warm and dry. Shell ski pants protect you from the elements and are very mobile; they’re usually thin and you may need to wear another layer underneath for sufficient warmth.
Soft-shells are very breathable and perfect for spring skiing while stretches’ are form fitting and usually worn by women.
Your skill level and how often you ski and snowboard will influence the type of ski pants you need.
After, you should look at the warmth the product you are considering provides. Your legs may not get cold like your fingers or toes but they still need protection.
If you’re a person that generally runs hot and never feels cold you won’t need heavily insulated pants. I, personally, run cold so I usually choose gear with a little extra insulation.
Next, consider how water proof and breathable the pants are. Being damp and cold is a recipe for disaster and you want to prevent that at all costs. Most quality ski and snowboard pants keep moisture out; some do a better job than other.
Lastly, you should pick the right size and make sure what you’re wearing is comfortable.
All the pants on this list keep these criteria in mind. There are many different types to suit your individual preference and they do a great job keeping you warm and dry. Additionally, each product comes in several different sizes so you can find a fit perfect for your body.
Now that you know what to look for, let’s take a look at my top choices.
Volkl Perfect Fitting Ski Pants
The Volkl Perfect Fitting Ski Pants are good for anyone looking for comfortable ski gear without spending a ton; you can find these for under $100. In addition, they’re insulated so they will keep you warm even on very cold days. Some awesome features include:
- Thigh vents to keep you cool on warmer days
- Removable suspenders so you can wear them exactly the way you want
- Internal boot gaiters
This Volkl product is the happy medium of ski pants. It won’t suffocate you when you’re spring skiing and you won’t be freezing in January. They’re breathable and lightweight too.
Take A Closer Look At Volkl Perfect Fitting Skiing Pants
Obermeyer 25016 Process Pants
Obermeyer is a really well known ski and snowboard company and their Process Pants are really high quality. This product does an excellent job keeping moisture out and will keep you very warm with its PrimaLoft Insulation. Also, it comes with:
- Fully sealed seams which makes it extra waterproof
- Ski Contour Articulation that gives you added mobility
- Fleece lined waist
The Process Pants from Obermeyer are extremely durable and come with a lifetime warranty. These may cost a little extra but you’ll never need another pair. Perfect for anyone who skis and snowboards a lot.
Take A Closer Look At The Obermeyer Process Pants
The North Face Freedom Insulated Ski Pants
Company: The North Face
The North Face is one of my favorite companies and I own a ton of their stuff. I love them because they make durable and stylish products and this is true for the Freedom Ski Pants. Besides providing optimal warmth with their insulation, these:
- Have durable brushed hand warmer pockets for when your hands need some extra heat
- Impenetrable moisture barrier that keeps you dry for the entire day
- Lightweight fabrics to improve performance and to regulate body heat
You know when you buy North Face you’ll be getting something comfortable too. You won’t mind wearing the Freedom’s all day.
Take A Closer Look At The North Face Freedom Ski Pants
Burton Men’s Covert Pants
Sizes: Extra Small to Extra Large
Burton is another company that you can find me wearing. You’ll see their products all over the slopes and for good reason – they’re awesome. Their Covert Pants are favorites of snowboarders and a few of my friends own a pair. They’re perfect for people that naturally run hot and they feature:
- DRYRIDE Durashell 2-Layer exterior that will guard against all weather conditions
- Cargo zippered pockets
- Loose fit so you don’t feel cramped
These come in 15 different colors so you can match them to your other gear.
Take A Closer Look At The Burton Covert Pants
Quiksilver Snow Men’s Porter Insulated 17 Pants
Sizes: Small to Extra Large
The Quiksilver Porter Insulated Pants are made for people that run naturally cold, like I do. I’ve had a few days where I wore ineffective gear when skiing and it made my day unbearable. This product has WARMFLIGHT insulation that keeps you from freezing on cold days. Additionally, they feature:
- Mesh lined vents to cool you off when you’re too hot
- Lift ticket holder
- Bottom Leg Gusset so you can easily pull the bottom of these over your boots
The Porter’s are very durable and will withstand many winters. Not bad for ski pants you can find for under $150.
Take A Closer Look At The Quiksilver Porter Insulated Pants
Spyder Men’s Propulsion Athletic Pants
Sizes: Medium to Extra Extra Large
Sypder makes extremely high quality gear and you’ll always be satisfied with their products; this is true for the Men’s Propulsion Athletic Pants. My favorite part about these are their lightweight 3m Thinsulate insulation.
A lot of ski pants are too bulky but that’s not that case here. 3m Thinsulate prevent coldness and remain thin at the same time; you won’t have to give up mobility for performance. Additionally, these feature:
- Thigh ventilation zippers to keep you cool when spring skiing or boarding
- Spylon technology to keep all moisture and stains out and off
- Extremely comfortable design
You can find Spyder Propulsion pants on professional winter athletes and people who make a living in the snow. They perform that well and are that durable.
Take A Closer Look At The Spyder Men’s Propulsion Athletic Pants
Salomon Fantasy Men’s Pants
Sizes: Small to Extra Large
The Salomon Fantasy pants will keep you warm and dry without breaking the bank. These feature a high quality insulation that allows you to be comfortable in very cold conditions. Also, they:
- Have an air vent system for people that run warm
- A regular fit so you won’t feel constricted
- 3 year warranty
Usually, you only see warranties like that on $200+ ski pants. The Fantasy pants are such a great value because you can find them for under $115.
Take A Closer Look At The Salomon Fantasy Pants
Columbia Men’s Bugaboo II Pants
The Columbia Bugaboo II pant’s come in every size imaginable. I’m not talking just small, medium and large either. I mean small regular, small tall, medium short, medium regular, large tall, large short and on and on and on. There’s actually 20 different sizes so you’ll find one for your own unique body type. Also, these feature:
- Light insulation that gives your legs warmth without suffocating them
- Omni-Tech technology that keeps you dry and allows for breath-ability
- Internal adjustable leg gaiter
These come in 7 different colors as well. You won’t have a hard time finding a pair that’s perfect for you.
Take A Closer Look At The Columbia Bugaboo II Pants
Arc’teryx Beta AR Pants
These are the most expensive ski pants on the list and rightfully so. Arc’teryx makes high quality snow gear and will do the best job possible making your day on the slopes enjoyable. There are so many features and it would be impossible to list them all. Here’s a few of the top ones:
- The Beta AR’s are made from Gore-Tex Pro fabric which is extremely light weight and comfortable and will protect you from all weather
- Comes with reinforcements for your knees, rear and lower legs to resist any sort of wear and tear
- Athletic fit with e3D patterning that gives you the most mobility and freedom possible
If you are someone that daydreams about skiing or snowboarding all day and gets out there every chance you have, this is a product you should consider. They will last a long time and give you the performance you are looking for.
Take A Closer Look At The Arc’teryx Beta AR Pants
Burton Men’s Southside Mid Fit Pants
Sizes: Extra Small to Extra Extra Large
The Burton Southside’s are another favorite of snowboarders. I really like the design of them; they look like something you could wear off the slopes. Some of the top features of the Southside’s are:
- Large hand warming pockets located on the thigh
- Lighweight and non-constricting to give you mobility and flexibility
- 1 year warranty
If you are someone who gets cold easily you should avoid these unless you plan on wearing something underneath. They aren’t heavily insulated which works for some and not for others.
Take A Closer Look At The Burton Southside Mid Fit Pants
Rossignol Elite Men’s Ski Pants
Sizes: Small to Extra Large
I love Rossignol products and own a lot of their gear including ski boots and skis. Every time I purchase from them I fully expect comfort and durability; I haven’t been let down yet. Their Elite Men’s Ski Pants live up to my expectations because they:
- Have Thinsulate insulation to keep you warm without being too bulky
- Made to be water proof and breathable
- 2 year warranty
The Elite’s are a great value and you can find them for under $100 too.
Take A Closer Look At The Rossignol Elite Men’s Pants
Spyder Bormio Men’s Ski Pants
The Bormio’s are another Sypder product you can find on professional winter athlete’s. These come with silky soft PrimaLoft insulation that will keep you warm on the coolest days. Additionally, they feature:
- Ultra thin Xt.L technology that provides superior water proofing and breathability
- Removable suspenders so you can customize your look and fit
- Recco Avalanche Rescue System
If you are a beginner or only expect to get out on the slopes every once in a while, you may want to find a different product. These are made for men that get out in to the snow.
Take A Closer Look At The Spyder Bormio Men’s Ski Pants
Columbia Men’s Ridge II Run Pants
The Columbia Men’s Ridge II Run’s are a good “middle ground” product. They don’t cater to people who get really cold or really hot; they are for someone who experiences coldness regularly. Additionally, these feature:
- Leg venting for a little extra air circulation
- Omni-tech technology for guaranteed water proofing
- Internal leg gaiter
These are fairly priced and you can find them for around $100 too.
Take A Closer Look At the Columbia Ridge II Run’s
Hit The Slopes In Comfort This Year!
Skiing and snowboarding is meant to be enjoyed. It’s a time away from work and all of life’s problems. You don’t want your day ruined because you have poor performing gear. If you wear cheap and low quality ski pants you run the risk of being cold and uncomfortable. I’ve been there and done that; it’s not fun.
Anyone of these pants will do a good job making sure you are warm, comfortable and protected against winter elements. You will be happy with these products.
If you have any questions comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as fast as possible. If you want your friends and family to see, share on social media.
How excited are you for this winter?