If you are looking to hit the slopes this year you are probably looking for the best ski jackets for women.
An appropriate ski jacket is an essential piece of skiing and snowboarding apparel and I would like to show you my top picks for the 2017-2018 season. Before we get started, let me show you what to look for when making your selection:
- 1 How To Pick The Perfect Coat
- 2 Obermeyer Tuscany Insulated Ski Jacket
- 3 Volkl Fitting Women’s Insulated Ski Jacket
- 4 Obermeyer Leighton Women’s Insulated Ski Jacket
- 5 Bogner Nara D Women’s Insulated Jacket
- 6 Women’s North Face Osito 2 Fleece Jacket
- 7 Bogner Elia D Down Jacket
- 8 The North Face ThermoBall Full Zip Women’s Jacket
- 9 Spyder Project Women’s Insulated Ski Jacket
- 10 Obermeyer Bombshell Women’s Jacket
- 11 Descente Raven Women’s Insulated Ski Jacket
- 12 Bogner Fire And Ice Sally 2 D Women’s Insulated Jacket
- 13 Columbia Bugaboo Women’s Interchange Jacket
- 14 Bogner Fire And Ice Sierra Women’s Insulated Jacket
- 15 Burton Hazel Women’s Jacket
- 16 Don’t Be Cold Or Uncomfortable This Winter!
How To Pick The Perfect Coat
There are a few important factors to consider before making your purchase. They are:
- Know the type of jacket you need
- Determine the warmth, waterproof and breathability ratings
- Little things like how many pockets, whether or not it comes with a goggle cloth, what type of warranty does it have, type of hood and things of that nature
There are basically three types of ski jackets:
- Insulated: This is the most common coat and most of the products on this list are this kind. They are made of an outershell that protects against the elements and keeps water/moisture out and an inner insulation that provides the warmth.
- Shell: Shell jackets do an excellent job with waterproofing and breathability but have no insulation. They should only be worn during warm ski days or with layers underneath
- 3 in 1: 3 in 1 jackets have both a shell and insulation that can be zipped apart from each other. This way you can wear the outershell when the temperature is higher.
After, you should look at the warmth, waterproof and breathability ratings for each coat. Warmth comes down to type of insulation, waterproof is based on the materials and treatment used on the outershell and breathability is how well the jacket removes excess moisture and heat on the inside.
Lastly, consider all the small things with the product you select. There are different hoods (some removable and compatible with helmets, some are not), pockets (media pockets for your cell phone and goggle pockets) and different warranties. I’ll discuss each of these points when describing the jackets below.
So now that you know what to look for, it’s time to see my top picks for the year.
Obermeyer Tuscany Insulated Ski Jacket
The first jacket on the list comes from a very well known ski company, Obermeyer. Their Tuscany Insulated Jacket is high quality and high performing; it comes with one of the best warmth ratings too. The insulation is made from synthetic materials and will protect you against the most frigid conditions. Some additional features include:
- Deatchable goggle cloth
- Hand warmer pockets for when it’s extra cold out
- Lifetime warranty
You know you are getting a long lasting and durable product when it comes with a lifetime warranty. At some point you may want a new ski jacket for variety purposes but if you decide to purchase the Tuscany, you won’t need another one because of wear and tear.
Here’s a video that goes a little more in depth:
Take A Closer Look At The Obermeyer Tuscany Insulated Jacket
Volkl Fitting Women’s Insulated Ski Jacket
The Volkl Fitting Insulated Ski Jacket is an affordable coat and does a good job in the warmth department. You can find this product for around $150 and that’s pretty good considering:
- It has stretch materials and articulated sleeves that gurantee free movement and mobility
- It comes with an electronics pocket to protect your phone
- A nice, regular fit that won’t be constricting or too baggy
The only downside to the Volkl Fitting Jacket is the waterproof and breathabilty ratings could be a little higher. It does a decent job keeping moisture and excess heat out but it certainly isn’t the best at it.
Take A Closer Look At The Volkl Fitting Insulated Ski Jacket
Obermeyer Leighton Women’s Insulated Ski Jacket
The Obermeyer Leighton delicately balances comfort, performance and fashion without breaking the bank (it will cost around $350). This jacket comes with ultra protective fiber down insulation and:
- A Removable hood with drawcord adjustment for added customization
- 5K waterproofing which does a decent job keeping moisture out
- Windguard to protect you on gusty days
This jacket has a fit that can be described between slim and regular. Some call it a happy medium of keeping up with the trends without being too tight – I tend to agree with that.
Take A Closer Look At The Obermeyer Leighton Insulated Ski Jacket
Bogner Nara D Women’s Insulated Jacket
Sizes: Small to Large
Bogner makes the most fashionable and warmest ski jackets for both men and women (snow pants too). It comes with a price, however, a high one. The Bogner Nara D is the most expensive product on this list (the second most expensive is also from Bogner) and will cost a little more than $1600; it has that type of look and performance. The main features include:
- The highest warmth, waterproofing and breathabilty ratings possible according to skis.com
- Lightweight materials that give you the most mobility possible
- One of the most comfortable fits imaginable
Honestly, it comes down to whether or not you can afford its high price tag. Some can and can’t. If you can and you decide on the Nara D, you can expect to hear “I love your jacket, where did you get it from” a million times.
Take A Closer Look At The Bogner Nara D Insulated Jacket
Women’s North Face Osito 2 Fleece Jacket
Company: The North Face
The North Face Osito 2 Fleece is the most cost effective ski jacket on the list (under $100). It’s very important to note that this product is not meant to be worn alone on cold skiing days; it’s meant to be used as a layer and be combined with a shell jacket or wore alone on warm spring days. It is, however, something you’ll want to wear off the mountain. Some awesome features include:
- Super soft fleece that makes it so comfortable
- Dual hand pockets
- Relaxed fit
If you’re in the market for a jacket like this (something to layer with and to wear in the ski lodge after an exhausting day on the slope) you will love the Osito 2.
Take A Closer Look At The North face Osito 2 Fleece Jacket
Bogner Elia D Down Jacket
Sizes: Small to Large
The Bogner Elia D comes with the highest warmth, waterproof and breathabiltiy rating possible just like its sister, the Nara D. This Elia D is the type of jacket you just have to look at and imagine yourself in; it’s a nice picture, right? It gets better when you consider:
- It comes with natural down insulation
- Has a body forming fit that won’t be too tight
- And a design that really pops
If you want the most feminine and fashionable jacket that still provides superior performance, this is a product you must consider – if you can afford it. It’s expensive and will cost a little more than $1500.
Take A Closer Look At the Bogner Elia D
The North Face ThermoBall Full Zip Women’s Jacket
Company: The North Face
The Thermoball Full Zip is another affordable North Face product. Like the Osito 2 you saw before, this jacket is meant more to be a layer in cold weather and a standalone in milder conditions. You’ll be happy to know the Thermoball comes with:
- Very warm synthetic insulation
- Comfortable fit
- Lifetime guarantee
It’s really amazing to see a jacket that costs around $150 to have a lifetime guarantee. You’ll be able to use this North Face coat for as long as you want to.
Take A Closer Look At The North Face ThermoBall Full Zip Women’s Jacket
Spyder Project Women’s Insulated Ski Jacket
Spyder is a giant in the ski world and makes some of the best equipment on earth. Their Project Women’s Insulated Ski Jacket has exactly what you’re looking for in terms of warmth and performance. Also, it comes with:
- Brushed Microfiber Inner Collar for added protection
- Internal goggle pockets
- Lifetime warranty
Like a few other jackets on this list it doesn’t have the highest waterproof or breathabilty ratings. Again, it does a decent job at them, just not the best.
Take A Closer Look At The Spyder Project Women’s Ski Jacket
Obermeyer Bombshell Women’s Jacket
Sizes: Small to Large
The Obermeyer Bombshell is a very elegant jacket and it provides superior warmth; it has very effective synthetic insulation. Besides sporting a nice look, it features:
- Interior windguard made from very comfortable fleece and will protect your chin
- Integrated hood with faux fur
- Does well in the waterproof and breathability department
If you want a stylish and well performing jacket, you should consider the the Obermeyer Bombshell.
Take A Closer Look At The Obermeyer Bombshell
Descente Raven Women’s Insulated Ski Jacket
The Descente Raven is another visually pleasing and feminine looking jacket. There’s one thing for certain with this product – you will be very warm while wearing it. No matter what conditions you face, the Raven will fight off cold with its 100 grams of Thinsulate insulation. It also provides superior protection against moisture too. Additionally, this coat features:
- Under arm vents to dump out excess heat
- Removable hood with real fur
- Media pocket to protect your phone and other electronics
I know for a fact you’ll want to wear the Raven on and off the mountain. Check out this video that goes a little more in depth:
Take A Closer Look At The Descente Raven Women’s Jacket
Bogner Fire And Ice Sally 2 D Women’s Insulated Jacket
Company: Bogner Fire and Ice
The Bogner Fire and Ice Sally 2 is a very elegant and toasty jacket; it gets the highest warmth rating possible on skis.com. This Bogner product is form fitting and water resistant. Additionally, it comes with:
- A lightweight design that won’t slow you down
- Natural down insulation
- Zippered hand pockets
This isn’t a cheap jacket by any means and will cost around $600. If you value style, performance, and protection and can afford the price, you should definitely consider the Sally 2.
Take A Closer Look At The Bogner Fire And Ice Sally 2 D
Columbia Bugaboo Women’s Interchange Jacket
Columbia is a well known company and you’ll see their gear all over the slopes (and off). The Bugaboo Interchange Jacket is a very cost effective option (under $200) for any woman who needs a protective and performing coat. It will do that, and comes with:
- A very high warmth and waterproof ratings
- Breathable nylon shell
- Internal security pocket for your phone and other accessories
This jacket features a comfy fleece liner and a removable hood too. You will like the way the Bugaboo feels when you’re skiing.
Take A Closer Look At The Columbia Bugaboo Interchange Jacket
Bogner Fire And Ice Sierra Women’s Insulated Jacket
Company: Bogner Fire And Ice
The last Bogner product on the list is the Sierra. As you’ve probably come to expect this jacket is very, very fashionable and delivers an optimal performance while skiing. Although it’s the least expensive coat offered by Bogner on this list, it will still cost you around $550.
I know you’ll love:
- The natural down that gives the most warmth possible
- How waterproof and breathable it is
- How mobile you feel when wearing the Sierra
It’s hard to make such an attractive looking product that fits so well and offers so much protection. Bogner does this time and time again and you’ll get that with the Sierra.
Take A Closer Look At The Bogner Fire And Ice Sierra Insulated Jacket
Burton Hazel Women’s Jacket
Burton is well known and every mountain on earth is littered with people wearing their products. Their Hazel Women’s Jacket is a quality jacket that will stand up to tough winter conditions. Some of its best features are:
- Thermolite Insulation that guards against frigid temperatures
- Media and goggle pocket
- Snag free neck line
The Hazel has a slim fit that’s tailored at the shoulders, waist and mid body. Not the most waterproof or breathable but still a fine product.
Take A Closer Look At The Burton Hazel Women’s Jacket
Don’t Be Cold Or Uncomfortable This Winter!
I know from experience that having cheap ski gear can lead to a miserable and cold experience. The jackets on this list are the best of the best and there’s one for everyone’s needs and budgets. You can be assured these products will give you the most enjoyable and warm day possible.
If you have questions about what you’ve read, comment below and I’ll respond as fast as possible. If you would like your friends and family to see, share on social media.
Are you ready to look good on the slopes and have a jacket that will give you the highest performance possible?