Basketball is one of the most popular sports one can play. There are millions who follow the big league games and even practice it in hopes of becoming a famous athlete one day. This is why there are many companies that start to create basketball products that will help the players improve their skills on the basketball courts. From basketballs to hoops, you’ll be able to find what you need, may it be for yourself or your aspiring loved one. In-ground basketball hoops are one of the essentials if you would want to start practicing basketball at home, which is why we will show you how to install an in-ground basketball hoop with ease.
How to Install an In-Ground Basketball Hoop
You may be a bit harried when installing an in-ground basketball hoop. But don’t worry, as it’s very easy to assemble, as long as you have the proper materials and time.
To install your in-ground basketball hoop, you will need the following:
· The in-ground basketball hoop and its parts for assembly
· Six bags of concrete (Or whatever amount the manufacturers recommend)
· Chalk or any marker
· You may need more help, as you can’t do it yourself. Find another strong adult who can help carry or steady the pole while mixing concrete.
Once you have all the materials ready, here are the steps on how to install an in-ground basketball hoop:
1. Look for an appropriate area where you can assemble your basketball hoop. These are places that have enough space to play a game, while not taking up so much space in areas you use, such as your garage or backyard. Also, it’s best to choose one with softer ground and without any pipes underneath in order to easily dig and place the basketball pole in.
2. Once you have the location, dig the earth for your basketball pole, making it at least 2 feet deep and 1.5 feet in diameter, depending on how thick or tall your basketball pole is. Mark your pole when it is 15 inches below the ground to make sure it does not go back up.
3. Mix the recommended amount of concrete into the wheelbarrow, using the instructions from the manufacturer.
4. With the mixed concrete, pour it into the hole, filling up to ¾ of it. Put the bottom pole in the hole. The reason why we only add ¾ of the concrete mix into the hole is so it won’t overflow once you add the pole.
5. Add in more cement into the hole to make sure the pole is set and will stay. Let the mixture dry and set. This usually takes a few hours.
6. If ever there are still empty spaces, add more mixed concrete in to let it fully set. To avoid any air holes, sweep the concrete using a broom handle.
7. Drying and setting of the pole will take a few days, three at max. Once the pole is set, it’s time to add in the top part of the pole and rim with the hoop.
8. Measure the top part of the hoop pole to ensure a good height when playing. This will usually depend on its dimensions and if you will be playing full court or half court. Set it up and make sure that it is straight, screwing the anchor bolts to ensure it is firmly in place.
9. Attach the rim according to the manufacturers’ instructions. Make sure it is tightened and will stay attached. Usually, the hoops are already attached to the rim. If not, follow the instructions given by the manufacturer when attaching the hoop.
And that’s it! As long as the in-ground basketball hoop you purchased is in good shape and of quality material, you will not have a problem in terms of setting up. After assembling the rim and hoop, you’ll now be able to play immediately!
Basketball is a popular sport that many aspire to learn how to play. If you would want to start practicing how to play basketball at home, then an in-ground basketball hoop will be perfect to start with. Hopefully, these tips on how to install an in-ground basketball hoop will help you assemble with ease and have you start playing immediately! So what are you waiting for? You can check out our In-ground basketball hoop reviews and purchase any of them online or in your local sports store. Start your dreams of becoming a basketball player today!