If you’re looking to add one of the best mountain bikes to your life you’ve come to the right place.
Choosing the right bike is essential to having a good time and I’ll show you what to consider before you make your purchase – you’ll see my top picks for 2017 too.
- 1 How To Choose The Right Mountain Bike
- 2 Diamondback Sorrento Mountain Bike
- 3 BEIOU 650B Mountain Bike
- 4 Takara Ryu Front Suspension Mountain Bike
- 5 Diamondback Mission 2 Mountain Bikes
- 6 Titan Pioneer Mountain Bike
- 7 Gravity FSX 1.0
- 8 Cyrusher FR100 Mountain Bike
- 9 Titan White Knight Mountain Bike
- 10 Merax 21 Suspension Mountain Bike
- 11 Diamondback Release 3 Mountain Bike
- 12 Schwinn Protocol 1.0
- 13 Mongoose Proxy Mountain Bike
- 14 Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtrail
- 15 Vilano 2.0 MTB Mountain Bike
- 16 Polygon Premier 4 Mountain Bike
- 17 Selected Cyrusher RD-100
- 18 Diamondback Mason Trail Plus
- 19 Make Sure To Ride With A Quality Bike!
How To Choose The Right Mountain Bike
There’s a few things to think about when deciding on a new bike. Here’s what I look for:
Suspension: Suspension influences the amount of speed and control you achieve while riding. The three types of mountain bike suspension are:
- Rigid: Rigid mountain bikes actually have no suspension. They’re easy to control and low in price. However, they do not offer as comfortable a ride as other types of suspension bikes.
- Hardtail: Hardtail mountain bikes have suspension in the front but not in the back. They’re low in cost and maintenance too. Hardtail bikes are great for going uphill but not for downhill riding.
- Full: Full suspension mountain bikes have suspension in both front and back. They’re higher in cost and require more maintenance. You can lock out the rear suspension for better transfer of power too. These products are ideal for climbing as well as downhill mountain and trail riding
Wheel Size: The most common mountain bike wheel sizes is 26, 27.5, and 29 inches. The 26 and 27.5 inch wheel sizes are more agile and lighter. They also tend to be preferred by cyclists who are shorter.
Alternatively, the 29 inch wheels are ideal for riding over larger objects and are more stable. They’re heavier in weight too. However, this wheel size is still preferred by experienced cyclists and cyclists who are taller.
Frame Material: You should also consider what kind of materials your mountain bike is constructed from. The most common materials are:
- Aluminum: Aluminum is lightweight and affordable – it’s the most common material used to make mountain bikes. It can be easily damaged and more difficult to repair, though.
- Steel: Steel is also affordable and lightweight. Like aluminum, it can be damaged if you wreck your bike. However, it tends to be sturdier than aluminum.
- Titanium: Titanium is durable and light in weight. It costs a little more but resists corrosion.
- Carbon Fiber: Carbon fiber is the premier material of mountain bikes. It’s more expensive but lightweight and strong. However, it can crack easily.
Gears and Brakes: The gears and brakes you choose should reflect how much time you spend biking and your riding experience. Mountain bikes can come with up to 30 gears. If you’re an experienced cyclist, you won’t need that many, however.
Bikes with single chainrings and wide range cassettes with 9, 10, and 11 cogs are more popular with cyclists today. They’re lighter and simpler to ride while offering you most of the gears that a biker will need.
So now that you know what to look for in your new bike, let’s take a look at my top picks.
Diamondback Sorrento Mountain Bike
Company: Diamondback Bicycle
Diamondback is a really excellent company and they make some of the best bikes available – this includes mountain bikes. Their Sorrento is moderately priced and will only cost around $380. This is an excellent price, especially when you consider it comes with a:
- Durable aluminium frame that’ll last a long time and has a lifetime warranty
- SR Suntour suspension fork ensures a comfortable ride
- Large 27.5 inch tires provide superior traction
The Sorrento is one of the few bikes that’s perfect for most skill levels and I recommend this product for beginners all the way to advanced intermediates. If you fall into that group you should definitely think about this bike.
Take A Closer Look At Diamondback Sorrento
BEIOU 650B Mountain Bike
The BEIOU 650B mountain bike is designed for advanced level riders. It’s crafted from durable carbon fiber and features hidden disc brakes and a fork suspension. It also comes with:
- A comfrotbale handle bar and seat post
- 27.5 inch wheels
- Carbon fiber hubs
You get your pick of colors and finishes too. It comes in solid black as well as red and white.
Take A Closer Look At The BEIOU 650B
Takara Ryu Front Suspension Mountain Bike
The Takara Ryu is a very affordable product and will only cost around $200. If you’re anything other than a beginner you should look for a different bike – skilled riders will want something with a little more to it. People just starting out with mountain biking will love the:
- Front and rear disc brakes that provide excellent stopping power
- The front suspension that’ll make your ride as smooth as possible
- Easy to change gears
I wish when I was leaning to mountain bike I had a product as nice as the Takara Ryu; it would have made life a lot easier.
Take A Closer Look At The Takara Ryu
Diamondback Mission 2 Mountain Bikes
Company: Diamondback Bicycle
The Diamondback Mission 2 is not for beginners or people that ride casually. This is a product that demands a competent rider and can handle everything you throw at it – the price reflects this (it’ll cost over $2700). Some top features include:
- Durable aluminum frame and smooth riding Knucklebox suspension
- Hydraulic disc brakes give you complete control over your braking
- Many gears so you can tackle all kinds of terrain
The design is top of the line and it’ll definitely get you some attention. If you’re in the market for one of the highest quality mountain bikes this is a product you must consider.
Take A Closer Look At The Diamondback Mission 2
Titan Pioneer Mountain Bike
The Titan Pioneer is another product that’s best suited for absolute beginners or people that aren’t very serious about riding. It’s ultra affordable and will cost under $199. It also comes with a:
- Steel frame that’s very sturdy and durable
- 12 different speeds so you get some options on the terrain you go on
- Easy to shift gears and can be done without lifting your hands
This bike is shipped 85% assembled and can be put together very easily – this will save you a lot of stress, trust me.
Take A Closer Look At The Titan Pioneer
Gravity FSX 1.0
The Gravity FSX 1.0 won’t break the bank and will only cost around $330. If you’re an experienced rider looking to push the absolute limits you may want to look else where. That doesn’t mean this is a bad bike but the Gravity FSX is best suited for intermediates and lower. If that’s you I know you’ll like the:
- 24 different speeds that make this bike useful on all terrains
- Tektro disc brakes which are very powerful
- Dual suspension ensures a smooth ride on all trails
You get to decide from various colors and sizes too so you’ll get the exact product you want and need. This is definitely one of my top picks for affordable mountain bikes this year.
Take A Closer Look At The Gravity FSX 1.0
Cyrusher FR100 Mountain Bike
The Cyrusher FR100 mountain bike is built for speed and handles easily with its sporty aluminum alloy framing and 26 inch, six spoke wheels. Available in a sleek orange and black color combination, this bike has features that include:
- Front and rear disc brakes
- 24 speed shifting system
- Ergonomic design for comfort
The Cyrusher FR100 is priced reasonably at $585. The adjustable seat and anti-slip wear resistant tires ensure that you get a safe and comfortable ride each time too.
Take A Closer Look At The Cyrusher FR100
Titan White Knight Mountain Bike
If you’re a beginner or someone that likes to ride causally the Titan White Knight can work for you. It’s very affordable and will only cost around $280. That’s a good price, especially when you consider it comes with:
- A lightweight design that’s very easy to transport
- 26 inch wheels will provide a smooth ride and excellent traction
- Front disc brakes are top of the line and ensures safe stops
As long as you manage expectations you’ll really like this bike. It’ll help you learn this challenging sport and do so in a comfortable and inexpensive way.
Take A Closer Look At The Titan Knight Mountain Bike
Merax 21 Suspension Mountain Bike
Made from durable steel framing, the Merax 21-speed suspension mountain bike is lightweight and easy to handle. Priced affordably between $127.50 and $189.99, this bike comes in colors like deep blue, green, red and white. It also has design features like:
- Dual suspension for a smooth ride
- Reliable 21-speed Deraileurs and Shimano shifters
- Front and rear mechanical disc brakes
The Merax 21-speed has 26 inch dual aluminum wheels too and can hold up to 330 pounds of weight.
Take A Closer Look At The Merax 21
Diamondback Release 3 Mountain Bike
Company: Diamondback Bicycle
The Diamondback Release 3 mountain bike weighs in at 33 pounds and comes in sizes that accommodate all cyclists’ heights. The sizes are extra small, small, medium, large, and extra large. It also comes with:
- SRAM X1 drivetrain
- Wide single chainring
- Slack front end
The bike sells at a premium price of $3900 and will come partially assembled for easier shipping. Buyers are advised to have their bikes assembled at professional bike shops to ensure their safety.
Take A Closer Look At The Diamondback Release 3
Schwinn Protocol 1.0
The Schwinn Protocol 1.0 is made from lightweight and durable steel framing and features a brilliant red color. It has an easy-to-handle double aluminum suspension design, with alloy high profile rims, and black bladed spokes. It also has:
- Shimano 24 speed gears
- Shimano EF-50 trigger shifters
- MTB handlebar with a 4 bolt A-head stem
Priced at $275, the Schwinn Protocol 1.0 is perfect for medium to beginner level cyclists. It’s designed for a wide range of terrains with its 26 inch wheels too.
Take A Closer Look At The Schwinn Protocol 1.0
Mongoose Proxy Mountain Bike
The Mongoose Proxy mountain bike is ideal for novice mountain bikers as well as anyone who wants a safe and fast ride. It comes in a sporty orange and white color combination. It also has design features that include:
- 26 inch aluminum frame
- Front suspension fork
- 21 speed Shimano rear Derailleur with SRAM twist shifters
It has front and rear disc brakes and alloy wheels. It’s priced at $247.77, making it perfect for people shopping on a budget.
Take A Closer Look At The Mongoose Proxy
Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtrail
Company: Diamondback Bicycles
Here we have another Diamondback bike and the Overdrive 29 Hardtrail is reserved for people that love mountain biking and get out there often – it’s made to ride and ride hard. Some of my favorite features include:
- Large 29 inch wheels will smooth your ride out even on tough trails
- Tektro disc brakes ensure you have completely control over stopping
- Easy to assemble and is shipped almost ride ready
You get many options in terms of size too, so you’ll get one that fits you just right. The price isn’t all that bad either and the Overdrive will only cost around $570. This is an excellent price for all that you’re getting.
Take A Closer Look At The Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtrail
Vilano 2.0 MTB Mountain Bike
The Vilano 2.0 MTB is ideal for beginners with its lightweight aluminum framing. The Vilano 2.0 also comes with:
- Mechanical disc brakes
- Alloy mag wheels
- Shimano 21 speed speed drivetrain
The Vilano 2.0 MTB mountain bike sells for $299, making it easy to afford. It has a sleek black color and is trimmed in red and is eye catching.
Take A Closer Look At The Vilano 2.0 MTB
Polygon Premier 4 Mountain Bike
Company: Polygon Bikes
The Polygon Premier 4 mountain bike has a hardtail suspension that makes it perfect for mountain and uphill riding. With its stiff and sturdy alloy frame, this mountain bike weighs in at a trim 30 pounds and has 27.5 inch wheels. It also has:
- SR Suntour XCT fork plush suspension
- 24 speed Shimano Altus drivetrain
- Hydraulic disc brakes that are suited for any kind of weather
The Polygon Premier 4 mountain bike sells for a budget-friendly $429. It comes in a practical and sporty sleek black color too.
Take A Closer Look At The Polygon Premier 4
Selected Cyrusher RD-100
The Selected Cyrusher RD-100 comes with 24 speeds and an aluminum frame that lets you pick up speed easily as you ride. Available in a brilliant yellow-green color, this mountain bike also has:
- 26 inch wheels
- Disc brakes for easy handling and safe stopping
- Full suspension for fast and reliable downhill biking
Priced at $649, this mountain bike is geared toward serious or daily cyclists. It’s also compact enough to store comfortably in your apartment or to take on a train or bus.
Take A Closer Look At The Selected Cyrusher RD-100
Diamondback Mason Trail Plus
Company: Diamondback Bicycles
Last on the list comes from a brand you’ve already seen many times – Diamondback. Their Mason Trail Plus is another bike that skilled riders will love. It delivers an unbelievably smooth ride and that’s because it has:
- Oversized and wide tires that eat up all bumpy and choppy trails
- Front and rear disc brakes provide a reliable stop every single time
- Lifetime warranty on the frame
This product isn’t cheap and will cost around $1200. If you plan on getting out there this year, and the years to come, it’s definitely worth that price.
Take A Closer Look At The Diamondback Mason Trail Plus
Make Sure To Ride With A Quality Bike!
Mountain biking is one of the best activities you can indulge in and is an excellent way to stay fit and to get some fresh air – if you have the right bike. A low quality mountain bike is a pain to ride and won’t deliver a smooth or enjoyable experience. No matter your skill or budget there’s a product on this list that’s perfect for you and one you’ll love.
If you have any questions about what you’ve read comment below and I’ll make sure to respond as fast as possible. You can let friends and family see by sharing on social media.
Are you ready to hit some trails this year on one of these bikes?